Job no: 495398
Work type: permanent full time
Location: Sydney, Melbourne
Sydney or Melbourne
Bauer Media is Australia’s leading multi-platform publisher, with investments spanning magazines, digital and live experiences. The portfolio includes the country’s longest-running and most successful motoring media brands, those being Wheels, MOTOR, 4X4 Australia, Street Machine and Unique Cars.
About the role
The Sub Editor works closely with the Editor, Art Director and broader editorial team to ensure the publication is delivered on-time and to standard. The role is responsible for the sub-editing (occasionally rewriting) of raw copy in Microsoft Word and processing layouts in InDesign, and owning the magazine style guide.
This is a full-time, permanent position working across MOTOR and 4X4 Australia magazines.
Some after-hours work is expected but returned as time in lieu.
- Assist the Editor in setting internal deadlines and ensuring they are adhered to by contributors and staff.
- Correct raw copy in Microsoft Word for grammar, spelling, sense, structure and accuracy.
- Process completed layouts which may include writing headlines, standfirsts, captions and completing specification tables.
- Sourcing images and vehicle specifications from manufacturers.
- Establish and lead processes that improve the editorial production process.
Skills and experience
- Demonstrated experience working as a Sub Editor or Journalist, preferably with a background or expertise in the motoring area.
- Excellent literary skills essential. You have an eagle eye for spelling and grammar, you’re intolerant of widows and orphans and you’re a stickler for style. Bonus points if you know the difference between an en and an em dash without having to look it up.
- High attention to detail and ability to think creatively. You can appreciate a great headline when you see one – or a clever caption.
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of automotive terms and technical side not compulsory but very advantageous. You at least know how many cylinders an XR6 has. Or what an XR6 is!
Fantastic social environment, a brand new gym literally next door (with a very sharp discounted rate for Bauer employees), office in close proximity to Melbourne’s best Greek restaurants and cafes, and access to the Bauer training opportunities.
Please apply now and send your CV via the link.
Advertised: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: AUS Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now